View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Loose Cannon - No Balls

$4000 for a head gasket? Let me know next time you need one, I'll get into the mechanic business when I can charge $4000 for a $75 gasket set and 8hours labor.

There isn't any issue with the '87 turbos, nor such a thing as an '87 SD.

Also, there are several theories on the reasons for rods bending in the OM603.97x, "weak rods" would be a contributing factor in some of these theories but no substantiated evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
For informational purposes only........

I had a 1992 300D that blew a head gasket at about 205,000 miles. I spoke to some mechanics about this and they said that sounded about right. Repair was about $4,000.

The rod benders are the six cylinders and it is the connecting rod that bends due to just being weak. It bends ever so slightly which causes the piston to not be true in the cylinder which then eats away at the cylinder wall and the engine is shot.

I don't think the 5-cylinders, the 2.5 with the iron block and alloy head, have this trouble. Mine never did and I put about 300,000 on the block.

I have been told that the 1987 SD have a turbo problem, but I have never looked into it since I am not an S-class kind of guy.

My 124 300D got 36 mpg. I just threw that in since it is a typical question people have.

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff