View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppie View Post

There are other issues, but at least I can drive the car. Next issue to deal with is the excessive cranking required to start the car after it has been running for awhile.

Should I open a new thread on this one or try to continue with this thread? My gut says open a new thread. What say?

Graham, thanks again! You are a real treasure to this forum.

Keppie
I think this threads title is OK.

From what you described, try adjusting the idle screw so that you have about 1100rpm after a cold start. That is about what it should be. After engine warms up, this should drop to about 6-700rpm. If you have it too low when cold, then it drops so low it won't keep running when warm.

The idle speed is very much influenced by the Aux Air Valve. Make sure it is not sticking.

Re difficulty starting when warm. It is usually because of low flow through the injectors when gas is hot. This causes a very lean mixture. (I have O2 sensor and wideband AFR gauge on my car and you can see this happen). Full tank helps keep fuel cooler.

Otherwise, check fuel pressure and bump it up a bit to say 34 psig to reduce gas vaporization through injectors. After that, you may have to adjust the MPS, but that will need an exhaust analyzer to set %CO. By the way, before I overcame the hot start problem, I would pump a bit and if it fired at all, held the pedal all the way down. It would slowly build revs.

Good Luck.