View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 PM

No offense taken, but I don't think anyone has seriously thought through my explanation. oh well. I give up, not that I'm convinced that I'm wrong yet though. Old rodbender theories range from simple head gasket failure, to chaotic combustion, to just plain weak rods. My favorite being the rock theory. I'm personally not buying any of those since they don't explain the whole story (why just 1 and 6, why not the 2.9L, why didn't the new rods always solve the problem. etc). A head gasket that is ~.030" (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know this measurement off hand) will not take up .013" thermal expansion especially considering the head bolts get tighter at temperature. But point taken, I'll drop it.

Quote:
I do not understand that concept at all....
If you have a main bearing between EACH inline bore.. that is the best of all possible worlds... that supports the crank the most number of times possible with 6 inline bores... X+1 is the formula.....
This is because in a 4 main bearing set up you have more cross sectional area away from the rotating axis making the design inherently more torsionally rigid. It's like how a hollow rod with the same cross sectional area is more torsionally rigid than a solid one. Basically the lever rule. I agree it seems sort of counterintuitive.
1998 E300 140K

Last edited by ajnorris; 06-20-2011 at 08:41 PM.