View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 12:17 AM

Leathermang,
Respectfully, I assure you I'm not making that up. I don't have a better reference other than drawing the free body diagram, but this is from Wikepedia (I know, I know, not a real reference)
Quote:
Crankshafts on six cylinder engines generally have either four or seven main bearings. Larger engines and diesels tend to use the latter because of high loadings and to avoid crankshaft flex. Because of the six cylinder engine's smooth characteristic, there is a tendency for a driver to load the engine at low engine speeds. This can produce crankshaft flex in four main bearing designs where the crank spans the distance of two cylinders between main bearings. This distance is longer than the distance between two adjacent main bearings on a V6 with four mains, because the V6 has cylinder bores on opposite banks which overlap significantly; the overlap may be as high as 100%, minus the width of one connecting rod (1.00" or so). In addition, modern high-compression engines subject the crankshaft to greater bending loads from higher peak gas pressures, requiring the crankthrows to have greater support from adjacent bearings, so it is now customary to design straight-sixes with seven main bearings.[7]
Many of the more sporty high-performance engines use the four bearing design because of better torsional stiffness (e.g., BMW small straight 6's, Ford's Zephyr 6). The accumulated length of main bearing journals gives a relatively torsionally flexible crankshaft. The four main bearing design has only six crank throws and four main journals, so is much stiffer in the torsional domain. At high engine speeds, the lack of torsional stiffness can make the seven main bearing design susceptible to torsional flex and potential breakage. Note that a V12 engine can be made with the same number of crank throws as the seven main bearing straight-six, although each throw must be wide enough to accept the connecting rods of both opposing cylinders requiring either that each rod be far narrower, or that the crankshaft length be extended. Another factor affecting large straight-six engines is the front mounted timing chain which connects any camshafts to the crankshaft. The camshafts are also quite long and subject to torsional flex as they in turn operate valves alternately near the front of the engine and near the rear. At high engine speeds, camshafts can flex torsionally in addition to the crankshaft, contributing to valve timing for the rear most cylinders becoming inaccurate and erratic, losing power, and in extreme cases resulting in mechanical interference between valve and piston — with catastrophic results. Some designers have experimented with installing the timing chain/gears in the middle of the engine (between cylinders 3 and 4) or adding a second timing chain at the rear of the engine. Either method can solve the problem at the cost of additional complexity.
Anyway point being cylinders 1 and 6 might be off by 1-2 degrees when the IP is dead on, not serious but something to think about at least.

JT20,
I can see how that thick of a head gasket would take more deflection. On the other hand you would be surprised some of the basic materials stuff some mechanical engineers get wrong sometimes. After all the same engineers did design a head that cracked from thermo-mechanical fatigue. (granted they didn't have complex finite element models back then). That being said you are probably right. I just am curious as to the real reason for the failure and figured I'd take a stab at it.

Horse is dogfood now.
1998 E300 140K