View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 11:04 AM

I know I've posted this a couple of times before but it does seem to me that many here are masochists when it comes to bleeding the clutch system.If you enjoy suffering please ignore this post.

The method of pressure bleeding from the front brake caliper is most unsatisfactory for a number of reasons:

a) You are filling the clutch system with dirty fluid from the caliper.

b) As the front of the slave is inclined upwards on level ground (much worse on ramps) an air bubble is trapped at the front of the cyl. not purged when bleeding and can remain there giving a soft low pedal.

c) The whole procedure is a time consuming P.I.T.A. and completely unnecessary.

There is a much easier and quicker way to R & R and bleed the slave cyl.

1) Remove clutch feed pipe from brake M/C and drain reservoir. Replace feed pipe and refill to max with new fluid.

2) Remove pipe from slave cyl. and cap the pipe end with one of the bleed nipple rubber cups.

3) Undo bolts and remove slave.

To re-insall:

1)Thoroughly bench-bleed the slave leaving the push rod fully extended. Ensure all bubbles are out and fluid is filled level with the top of the pipe connection.

2) Remove the rubber cup and let at least an eggcup full of fresh fluid drain down to replace old fluid in clutch M/C and then replace and tighten pipe connection. Don’t pump the pedal!.

3)As the piston is pushed back in as you bolt the slave back on any air still in the pipe is pushed back up and through the M/C. Let it stand at least 15 mins before pumping pedal SLOWLY!.

4) Top up the reservoir and you’re done!

If fitting new slave and M/C:
1a) After fitting new clutch M/C, [U]re-set pedal free play[‘U]. Before connecting pipe to slave, fill res. and when fluid is running right through, cap pipe end as before. Let it stand for 10 to 15 min and gravity does the job. DON’T pump the pedal! Reconnect slave as in (2) and (3).]

The system is self-bleeding anyway but the trick is to get all the air out of the slave piston before re-installing it.