View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 PM

Bit the Bullet....Bought the timing chain tool

After much procrastination I bought a BAUM TOOL, Mercedes single and double Timing Chain Crimp Tool. I am in the midst of getting an '83 300 Turbo engine ready to transplant into my '77, 240D. The tool makes the crimping process a piece of cake. I have the engine on a stand at present. My daughter helped me thread the NEW chain through the engine. I removed the cam sprocket so I could drape the old chain away from the head opening while I ground the old link off. I re-installed the cam sprocket.
I then attached the NEW chain to the OLD one and used the OLD link I had ground the pins on. I used the Crimping tool to re-install the old end plate to connect BOTH chains together. With my daughter holding the chains on the cam sprocket, I LIGHTLY peened the OLD link pins just enough to hold well. We threaded the new chain on. I removed the OLD link and chain, joined the new chain together, installed the center plate and the end plate with the tool and crimped it!
The tool was $220.00 plus shipping but WELL worth the peace of mind. I queried a guy that had a tool for $179.00 but it was made in CHINA! BAUM TOOL isn't
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Timing-Chain-Press-Set-Double-Row-Engine-Tool-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c1b970fbQQitemZ110624338171QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_
My Truck.. 2007 DODGE, 5.9 Cummins, 6spd stick, 4X4. My car..1977 240D, OTHER WHEELS...1955 VW Oval window bug, European Delivery (Holland) with a 1700cc, 2 barrel, Porsche drum brakes. 1939 WILLYS Pick-up. 1967 Triumph 200cc Tiger Cub. 1976 Honda 550F 4cyl Motor Cycle.