View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digieditny View Post
ah-kay. I will purchase the ir gun this weekend. I don't understand why I can't get a stable reading. The reviews of the one I have aren't bad.

Are you telling me if you hold the gun and point it next to the temp sender and keep the "scan" button pushed, you get a solid reading? Mine jumps around 10 + or 10 - C. It's black with oil in that area. I should be getting a solid reading. I'll try again...

Zeke. I don't mind that it's loud. Brooklyn is already loud.
No measurements yet as I am still at work. I am on PST time. Why don't you try this?

1) Tape a masking tape over the side of a pan and heat water until boiling.
2) Point your IR probe to it and it should read solid 100C.
3) Point to the stove, if electric, and get a reading.
4) When you point to the engine block, it has to be clean and non-reflective, as the laser works by absorption and reflection by the object.
4) You can also point to the top of the radiator which is matt finish and should give a steady ready. Or point to the sensor itself, tape a masking tape over it.
5) A dirty or oily service probably would not work.

You may not need a new probe, may be it is the battery.

W124 Keyless remote, PM for details. http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-used-parts-sale-wanted/334620-fs-w124-chasis-keyless-remote-%2450-shipped.html

1 X 2006 CDI
1 x 87 300SDL
1 x 87 300D
1 x 87 300TDT wagon
1 x 83 300D
1 x 84 190D ( 5 sp ) - All R134 converted + keyless entry.