View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
Some other things that Ms Coulter "left out."

Breivik chose to be baptized at age 15. He self-identified as "Christian" on his Facebook page. He thought "Christianity should recombine under the banner of a reconstituted and traditionalist Catholic Church" or, later, under a new (traditionalist) European Church.

Breivik is not an American-style evangelical Christian. He is not a "fundamentalist" in that sense. Though he does identify with American cultural Christian conservatives. And he considers himself to be fighting in the name of "our Christian cultural heritage." He supports a reconstituted Knights Templar devoted to winning a war against Islam in the name of Christianity.

Salon Magazine Alex Pareene
So, it seems we are back to the debate of whether Christianity, or any religion, is personal or cultural. I think we can agree that there are elements of each.
I think what I find offensive is when charges like this are made, no one differentiates between the two with the implication that the perp's Christianity was "genuine". Further, I believe that on the part of many the blurring is intentional in an effort to ridicule Christianity, and make some sort of moral equivalency with other terrorists.