View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 02:25 PM

The old Holley carb set-up. Works fine but I want fuel injection with computer control and the ability to go to a complete managed system, fuel and ignition.
Megasquirt on my M110-21.jpg

One of the few modifications I had to make to the actual original set up. I had to grind 1/4" off these two throttle bracket mounting holes. It would be easy to undo this if I wanted to go back to a carb for any reason. Just a couple of flat washers and this never happened. I had to grind these to allow the throttle bracket to sit below the surface of the adapter plate. I could probably have removed the needed amount from the plate but this was much easier.
Megasquirt on my M110-22.jpg

Rough fitting the TBI unit with the first version of linkage installed. I did have to remove most of the ridiculously cumbersome throttle bracket plate on the TBI unit itself and elongate the mounting hole for the linkage. Dremel tool to the rescue! Those are some standard cable ends available at just about any auto parts store with a short bit of all-thread.
Megasquirt on my M110-23.jpg

Another alteration I had to make to the original set up. I drilled two 3/16" holes in the original feed arm and riveted an upright bracket piece. I didn't hurt the structural integrity of the arm and in fact the pivot ball for the original carb linkage is still in place. Simply drill out the two rivets, remove the bracket and you're back to stock. A small bit of the TBI external bracing rib needs to be ground away to allow the original feed to go all the way forward. You could probably get away with just adjusting the actual "throw" of the accelerator linkage (small rod mounted by the firewall) but I had the TBI unit off and it was one less thing to be changed on the original.
Megasquirt on my M110-24.jpg

TBI unit mounted and the first fuel line in place (supply). It was a little tricky but using a coat hanger as a template I got it figured out. The first bend coming from the TBI unit is tough to do. It needs to go up just a bit to give adequate clearance for the linkage. I'd suggest using a spring style of tubing bender for this first bend and then using a standard bender for the rest. I'll be re-working this line because I am not 100% thrilled with the way it looks. Works fine but I want it to look a bit better. It's not too bad. $14 for the line. Could be worse, we wont mention the $50 IAC I screwed up.
Megasquirt on my M110-25.jpg