View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 PM

Last straw with my W126 GEN II sunroof.

Hey guys,

I got in a fight with my sunroof for the last time today. Without removing the panel and the headliner, I couldn't achieve the photograph I wanted, so I drew it in MS Paint. I know on each side of the sunroof, there are sliding guide jaws that allow the roof to pop up and down.

-The jaw on the drivers side is broken, disallowing proper function of the tilt mechanism.
-Upon removal of the broken piece, I figured I was golden for sliding function.
-No dice; red part in diagram binds on the PASSENGER side, and is broken on the drivers side.
-Removed part; is it supposed to be not connected to anything within the sunroof mechanism? Mine was able to come out of the tilted opening (I am able to tilt the roof, go figure) without any tools or finesse.
-Blue part also binds on the passenger side; I assume this is the part that allows sliding function of the roof.
-Unbind the part on occassion, still no slide function; drivers side rear corner of the sunroof panel binds on the roof of the car, passenger side clears.

-Keep in mind, I have all this knowledge via a 3 inch by 3 foot opening of the tilted roof, so I rely on your expertise on the subject

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get my headliner out (all clips undone, no clue how to get it out of the car), or even better, fix this thing? I've read the walk through for the W124, and I think that is only the start of my problems...

Thanks,

Carlen

1987 560SEL (210,000 miles)