View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
The sliding jaws also provide the forward and backward motion, if they're broken nothing works. Plan on replacing both.

Both were broken on my car, one had snapped completely in half so the whole panel was stuck. I was able to pry the interior lining off and wiggle it out carefully. I had trouble getting it to clear the rearview mirror. It's somewhat flexible so that helps a lot. It took some force at times.

I then removed the two "do not remove" bolts for the guide pins on the front. so I could lift the whole pannel up. That gave me access to more bolts so I could remove the panel from the sliding jaws.

Sorry if that's about as clear as mud. I basically kept taking things apart till I could remove the metal panel, then removed the chrome metal plates along the sides to get the pins out of the track, put them back on the panel, and re-assembled it according to the FSM.

BTW, nice paint diagram

-Jason
Yeah the arm on the driver side broke two years ago and I finally did enough mechanical maintenance that I can focus on this monster now. The headliner seems connected to the smaller rectangular part towards the back; is that the case? I was fearful of breaking it, as I have a 4 year old headliner I don't want to replace, but I noticed the flex and if it can come out down towards the windshield, I'll do that. Do you recall how much the arms cost you? Based on my dealership estimation skills, somethin' like $150 a side?

And thanks for the compliment on my MS Paint skills; I went a little overboard on the interior detail. OCD will do that

1987 560SEL (210,000 miles)