Thread: W210 overheats
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 12:05 PM

TMAllison - I would suggest removing the rad end of the upper hose and filling the cyl head/hose with coolant until you can't get more into it. Is difficult to "burp" these. - This is exactly what I did. Was able to add atleast 1/2 gallon of coolant into the upper hose. I added exactly what was drained from the system after thermostat replacement. 1.5 gallons total.

Your fan clutch should be engaged as soon as you get off the highway when coolant temp hits +95C. Should lock up and howl like a 747 on takeoff when you increase RPM. If you turn the key off (when overheating) and the fan continues to free spin it is probably bad. - fan spins freely when cold, once the engine gets hot the fan will stop spinning as soon as I shut the engine off. Seems like the clutch is working. But I will do the 747 test after the hurricane passes.

Monitor coolant temp using the CCU while driving. Press and hold REST, use AUTO buttons and toggle to screen 7(?). Idiot gage has a designed in dead spot where it doesnt report correct temps between 95C-105C. When temp exceeds 105 gage will suddendly jump up and begin reporting accurately again. CCU will always report correct temp. - great idea, gonna try this too