View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip Foss View Post
Be careful when you load the basket. It will change the center of gravity and give you slightly less steering control. You might be better off just pulling a small trailer.
I initially tended toward renting a small U-Haul Sport Trailer as well - 60 cu ft, almost as much as my old Subaru wagon or a Jetta sportwagon, small and low. That would have taken 75% or better of what I wanted to haul, Jeep would have been mostly empty.

But checking with U-Haul, their website claims that the smallest trailer they will rent me is a 4 X 8 - overkill for the amount of stuff I need to haul, and I don't want to learn how to tow a trailer for the first time on I-35 with a trailer nearly as physically big as the Liberty itself. Or learning how to come down the 6% grade at Black Mountain on I-40 with a trailer pushing from the back.

Driving by the U-Haul sites in NC and Texas over the past couple of weeks, it looks as if U-Haul has made the decision to get rid of their trailers - only one or two at any site, but loads of moving vans. Perhaps they decided the trailers weren't profitable enough and are phasing them out.

I packed light when I came down to SA over 2 years ago - only what would fit in the Liberty - and no furniture to take back. Just need some extra space to make packing easier for a few extra small items I've picked up over the last two years.

And I won't be having to do it all in one shot. Freightliner usually gives us 2 weeks off over Christmas and New Years, and the lease on the apartment isn't up until Jan 5th - with what the renters are allowed under Texas law, I'd get raped big time if I tried to officially move out now, to the tune of 4 grand or better.

Plan is to tell them I'll have to be up in NC for the next 3 or so months settling my father's estate, and the monthly rent will be set up on auto-pay. I'l leave stuff like the vacuum cleaner and cleaning supplies that I'll need to finish cleaning up the place when I come back over the holidays. Then settle up with the apartment complex, and grab the remaining items.

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville, NC
'87 300D 212K miles
'87 300D 151K miles - R.I.P. 12/08
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD 67K miles
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club