View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 AM

First go under the car and have your girlfriend press the clutch pedal. See whether you detect or feel any movement of the slave cyclinder. It maybe hard to see, but you may feel pressurization and or hear spring moving. If so, clutch is sticking. If not, either slave or master is leaking badly.

It may also be air in the system from a leak, so bleeding may also help.

If it is a sticky clutcj (and I have had my fair share of sticky clutches), first do what 1960 mog says.

If that does not work, it is time for the bronco/rodeo trick. Make sure you have plenty of room in the front or rear of car. If room in rear, put car in reverse gear, pump clutch pedal several time, then hold it depressed and crank the starter. Car will lurch backwards, but force of clutch and torque of starter may break the sticky clutch. If room in front, put car in high forward gear and try the same.

If this doesn't do the trick in a couple of tries, then definitely check the master and slave cylinder.

CAUTION: CAR CAN JUMP SEVERELY. MAKE SURE YOU PULL IGNITION CABLE FROM COIL TO DISTRIBUTOR TO PREVENT ENGINE FROM FIRING AND CAR LURCHING AWAY FROM YOU. DO NOT HAVE YOUR FEET DANGLING OUT OF THE CAR OR YOUR DOOR OPEN.

It should work, but I do want to put the serious warning out because we are talking about a fairly non-conventional manoever and safety comes first.

Good luck,

Bert