View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 08:36 PM
He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by junqueyardjim View Post
You are right man, you have to have help. I am sure there were many pulled by one man with the proper equipment, but if you haven't done much of it, working on your driveway and with the typical lower cost engine lift, it is definetly a two/three man job. You know the hood goes into the second position, the full or straight up, right? Works best to pull engine and transmission and to have the back end up a couple of inches. Radiator has to be out, all hoses disconnected, A/C and oil cooler also. Heavy card board or thin plywood to protect A/C condensor from damage and I hope you have an engine lift with the adjustable two point hitch so you can tilt it as necessary. It takes a lot of tilt to get it out of there. If I was with in 50 or 75 miles, I would love to give you a hand, but I am just too far.
Yep, hood will be vertical.

Everything except for the engine and the brake master cylinder is out of the engine bay. Even the a/c compressor has been removed. I plan to clean, repair and then paint the engine bay, so everything that can be removed is out.

I plan to pull the engine and the trans together rather than dealing with accidentally having the front of the trans drop while it's sitting in there or having to deal with disconnecting the TC... etc.

The engine crane I had didn't look like it adjusted but I had to return it to the rental place, I didn't feel like paying $20 a day having it just sit. So I'll look for one that has another pivot. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for all the advice, and this is exactly why I want experienced help. Reading online helps alot of the time, but it's the little things I won't know about until they kill me/the engine/the car.

I recondition w123/w126/w124/w140/r107/r129/ steering boxes!

1984 300D "Elsa" odo reset 6/2011 147k
1983 300TD "Mitzi" ~268k OM603 powered
1995 E300 "Adelheid" 262k [Sold]