View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codifex Maximus View Post
My suggestion was to only *test* the alternator output with the battery disconnected. If the battery was bad, it would effect the voltage readings of the test.

Absolutely DO NOT drive or run the car with the battery disconnected as shorts could and probably will occur.

I have performed this same test for many years - over 30 at least with no ill effects to any car I've ever owned. However, I would not rule out the possibility that the battery might provide a load for the charging system in the event of an overvoltage condition.

Now, if the Voltage Regulator is defective which, after testing, sounds like it is, the battery would have little to do with any over voltage condition. I agree damage could occur to electrical systems due to a faulty regulator.
Untold thousands of people do this and usually get away with it. It is just sometimes they do not. On a newer car it can be a major disaster sometimes.

When you are a good samaritan and boost a car it may also cost you dearly. I am not sure of the actual why of it but it is a fact. Theoretically it should not happen but it does. Not caused by reverse polarity boosting either.

If I agreed to boost your car I would just tell you to keep the key off and let my alternator and battery bring your battery charge level up. Takes a little more time but we will both drive away. Usually both of you will as well if you crank the engine while boosting. There will just be a time that one or the other of you may not.