View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD300 View Post
hmmmm, was wondering why you were answering yourself. Thought I'd have to measure you up for a straight jacket lol

Tyre question is a little awkward what exactly do you call 'performance'? 120mph may be your limit on stock 14" merc rims I would say.

This is a very clean car from the pics so modifying it would make sense only if you do it right = hard work & much mulla$........
Yeah, I am a little crazy, but not "talking to myself" crazy... Yet...

I don't exactly know what kind of "performance" tire I would expect to find in a 14" wheel, but I thought it was worth asking. All I was able to find are just regular, cheap touring tires. I am hoping to wring a decent amount of power out of this engine, and just want tires that can handle it.

It is in pretty good shape, but not quite as clean as the picture makes it out to be. There is faded and cracked paint, but no rust or dents anywhere. What comes to your mind when you say "do it right"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabbasi View Post
The 280SL's used an injected version of the M130 engine and it made 170hp. I still own my 250CE which had the M114 2.5 liter injected engine which also made 170hp. I can tell you that this is pretty good power for these cars. I hit 115mph in that car and it felt as solid as a rock. Acceleration was also very good.

If you're going to rebuild it, I suggest looking into megasquirt and cross posting on the vintage forum. A couple of guys have fuel injected their cars using this system and are happy with the performance.
I have read about megasquirt, and know that it can help make good power. I am just not a fan of fuel injection and more electronics. To me, it is just more to go wrong. I prefer the simple approach. From what I have read, the 2.8L was the last, best version of this motor, so I figure it is a good starting point. However, I have much to learn.

I am not completely opposed to a turbo, but I have no idea how much this block is capable of handling.

I will cross post this over into Vintage, maybe they will have some more ideas.