View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 10:49 AM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkat22 View Post
ok. wow. thanks for all the info. this is what i know based on what you told me:

i looked at pictures online, and i do indeed have pencil plugs, but they are wired with that squiggly copper (maybe some form of 'making do'). there are only 3 insulators per four glow plugs, so the wires are definately touching each other. that is bad i assume? or only bad if i had loop plugs?

i still need to rule out battery before jumping ahead to other conclusions, but i don't want to mess anything up, so if that is something that is wrong (its very possible there are lots of loose ends like that in this car) then i want to fix it before getting the car running and driving around.

thanks yall!
OK.
we are going to need to see a picture of what you have to proceed with recommendations.

there should be no insulators on the pencil plugs, and there should be no ground strap connected to the last (first) plug.

the squiggly wires from loop plugs should be replaced with insulated copper wire. it's absolutely correct for them all to be connected together with bunched up insulated copper wire.

Russel at dieselgiant.com has a good pictorial on the upgrade from loop to pencil, look over the pics on that site, and see if it's what you have.

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!