View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 09:37 PM

Rebuilt my MG V8's HIF6 SU carburettors this afternoon. New choke o-rings plus seals and while I was at it I replaced the shaft seals too. All seals were hard as a rock, so it was definitely needed. Bushings and shafts seemed fine. I had renewed jets and needles a while ago so I left that alone. Put it all back in the car, and car fired right up and purred like it had not done in a long time. I installed a new Petronix distributor and coil a month ago (instead of a Lucas electronic system that I had my misgivings about), but it ran still rough. Clearly the carbs where a problem area. Now the combination of new distributor, coil and overhauled carbs seems to have done the trick.

Still need to wash (it is VERY dusty) and test drive the car, but I ran out of time. I added a picture of the carbs and engine bay with everything back together again. You can't get the carbs off without removing the intake manifold. The manifold to block gasket is NLA so orange liquid gasket was used (a bit too abundantly). Ignore the dust...

Bert
Attached Thumbnails
weekend Wrenching-mgv8_carbs-002.jpg   weekend Wrenching-mgv8_carbs-004.jpg