View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dalton View Post
Right ..which is why some can take weeks ..depending on the drivers style.

Here is a drive cycle criteria for self test verifications.

The OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another).

NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.

2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.

3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes.

OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.

4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.

5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at æ throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.

6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes.

OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.

7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumping this post. I've been failing smog for years due to "monitors not ready". In California (before 2011) I had to take the car to the state referee and they would override and give me the smog cert. And that was with 3 monitors not ready (EGR, secondary air sys, and catalyst).

Now the max is 2 monitors not ready. I'm going to try the above cycle and hope I get one of them going. I have an OBDII scan tool to check. Hopefully I get one of them running before my $165 diagnostic appt at the dealership on Thursday.

Finally what part of the cycle gets the secondary air sys monitor to run?

Thanks!