View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
Ben, good for you for helping out. I know you're concerned that she buy the right things at the market but I'd be concerned with setting the precedent of shopping with her. But that ship has already sailed. I was going to say that gift cards to the supermarket would be a good way to lend some aid with a degree of anonymity. Obviously no way to control what she buys, unlike food stamps/SNAP cards, so there would need to be personal responsibility on her part.

You could see if your state offers a free or low-cost health care program for kids. CT has the Husky Healthcare with graduated fees/copays based on household income.

EDIT: Like this, NCHC Program.
In my experience with any form of gift card. If I purchase one item of lesser value than the card many places hand me the difference in cash. The only exception that I am personally aware of is princess auto. Our harbour freight equivelant up here in Canada.

My daughters or a couple of them give princess auto gift cards to me from time to time. Your purchases are elctronically subtracted leaving what balance there is on the card if any to use later.