View Single Post
Old 10-30-2002, 09:29 AM
Fimum Fit

I've been blending in used peanut oil as a "fuel extender"

for about 2 months now. The vehicle is an '85 300TD with 324,000 miles; I get the peanut oil free from a famous local tourist trap seafood place and then heat it just past 212 degrees to get out any water and filter it carefully. In warmer weather when I was getting ready for several road trips of some distance, I went as high as 40%, but now I shall stay in the 15% to 20% range, since nights below freezing are not out the question at this time of the year in SE Virginia.

Are you tuned in regularly to the biodiesel site on infopop and also tdiclub.com? The infopop site has a special section for SVO and WVO users and lots of info from Australians who have been doing this to run their generators in the outback for decades.

P.S. The hot topic on these sites lately has been the road tax situation -- there was recently a big crackdown in Wales, where police at street intersections were instructed to arrest anyone whose car's exhaust smelled like food, and this problem is expected to spread rapidly. I obtained the necessary documents to properly pay the tax in VA, and it requires a 19 page registration form, posting a $2000. bond, and a monthly report, with payment (which would be about $1.75 per month for me, at .17 and a fraction per gallon); the Federales (.24 and a fraction per gallon) have a simpler form and only require a report every 3 months.

Last edited by Fimum Fit; 10-30-2002 at 09:46 AM.