View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Ron59b

1986 Mercedes 300 SDL Transmission will not up shift....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixto View Post
There's a cable that comes up from the passenger side of the transmission to the throttle linkage just ahead of the oil filter housing. Disconnect the ball and socket end of the cable from the throttle linkage and go for a drive. It should get to top gear fairly quickly. If so, your low gear woes stem from a misadjusted or more likely binding bowden cable.

Your power steering fluid is low. At operating temperature, the fluid level should be at the bottom of those pointy things in the yellow plastic stem, about 8mm higher than it is in the picture. It should also be yellowish hydraulic fluid rather than red like ATF but that's open for debate.

Sixto
87 300D

I just recently purchased a 1986 300 SDL with 280,000 miles on it. This is a one owner car and had the transmission replaced 7 years ago.*

I was told that there had been some issues with the transmission that included a leak. When the owner had the car at the shop, they were told that the transmission wad functioning properly.*

When driving the car home, once the car warmed up it started to not up shift at times. It also began to slip when taking off from a dead stop. On the trip home I poured in a few quarts of fluid and limped it home.

Since having the car here, I discovered that the transmission had a at the pan gasket. This I repaired and added BG Trans Fluid additive.*

The trans is still having trouble upshifting once it warms up. The problem Isn't constant. I can let off the gas and stop. Then upon taking off again, it sometimes will shift properly for a while.*

After searching the forum, I came across your response about the Bowden cable possibly sticking. I am planning to try what you suggested within the next couple of days.*

I have also seen post about checking the kick down switch, and the transmission module. Is there anything else you would recommend to me that could be related to my issue? The transmission shifts storng and otherwise seems to perform very well.*

I apologize for the long email, but I have reviewed several of your responses over the years and think you may be able help me.

Thanking for your time,*

Ron*
Richmond, VA
_