View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 09:01 AM

Clother covered window channel

Thanks for the updates and part numbers.

Both of these suggested items are "rubber covered", as per their descriptions in their catalogs. But, at least on my Mercedes 280SE, the channels are cloth covered. I have seen other Mercs of the same era that are cloth covered as well.

I dug a little deeper into the Restoration Specialties catalog and they have a similar sized cloth covered channel, and it is called #10-G.

The part from Metrol Molded (WC-12-96) has a really small measurement for the channel gap of only 1/8 inch. I would be worried if I got that one, and it caused any more friction on tired electric windows they may not work any longer. The Restoration Specialties item with part number #8-A-2 has an overall width 1/16th wider than Metro Molded and part #10-G is 1/8inch wider than Metro Molded.

All this adds up to so many differences in measurements and the exterior finish of the channel (ie: clothe covered or rubber covered), it could be a smart move to send Restoration Specialties a few inches of window channel to really get a precise match from the experts.

I put together a graphic that shows side-by-side these parts, so it is a bit easier to see what I am writing about. Please see it attached to this posting (sorry, but could not figure out how to attach a file bigger than 60K).

I am sure there are many out there with frayed window channel and would like to find a cost effective solution that is close to stock fit/appearance.

Any chance someone has a spare few inches of channel they can send to me, and I will make photos of the original and the item that Restoration Specialties sends me? It will be a nice and concise write up, so we never have to re-answer "What channel is good for a 280SE and other similar models in that era?".
Attached Thumbnails
Window seals fraying-merc_window_channel.jpg  

Last edited by uprightfan; 01-12-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typo and grammar