View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 04:47 PM

I posted much of this in the DIY section on cluster repair, but thought I might get more help here:

It seems to me that those traces for the cluster/console lighting circuit create a weak point in the cluster circuit. Any overload and they will blow before the 8amp #1 fuse. I thought about fixing the traces and adding a fuse, but in the end decided to eliminate the dimmer circuit altogether and bypass the burned traces by running a wire to feed the two dash bulbs. I shorted pins 11 and 12 which really takes the cct board out of things so far as the center console lights are concerned. (small red circle in pic)

I should probably have run the red wire directly to the dash light connection on the board, but instead went to one of the dimmer connections, so I still have one lighting trace in use, but only for the dash bulbs. If I ever install LEDs, I will change that.

I decided to replace the burned ground trace to pin 15 by running a ground wire from pin 15 to the connector that the main ground screw connects to. (white wire in pic)

All the dash and console lights now work as they should. But now, I do have a problem! The temperature gauge goes full scale as soon as the ignition key is turned on! Would that indicate a short to ground on pin 2? I did not go near pin 2 (1 is next to 15), so perhaps the short is somewhere else?

The temperature gauge seems from the cct diagram to have 3 connections. It is not clear to me what the connections between the fuel gauge and the temp gauge do? Lighting?