View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 PM

I read thru the transcript, published in the local paper.

Gawdalmighty, talk about a public a$$-chewing, replete with a few four letter words even! While the language might seem tame when you read thru it, you have to realize something - you just don't publicly chastise the captain of a ship or other officers at that level - it's usually done behind closed doors - so for this exchange to even happen in the first place means that guy REALLY screwed up!

Word in the same article says he deliberately deviated from the planned course to come in close to shore and "show off" his ship to tourists on shore. Well, they DID get one heckuva show.

Also said he had been released from jail on bond, but was being kept under house arrest at his residence pending charges being filed - which are supposedly going to include manslaughter.

I thought the Coast Guard officer was going to have a coronary when one of the excuses he threw back, for not going back onboard, was that "it's dark and I can't see anything". That was apparently the last straw for the Coast Guard captain - he chewed him out like a redheaded stepchild and ORDERED him to get back onboard NOW.

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville, NC
'87 300D 212K miles
'87 300D 151K miles - R.I.P. 12/08
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD 67K miles
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club