View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Regitsered User

Went back yesterday to take a better look under the car. Brought a small jack and stands with me, but only had enough time to poke around the rear half. I guessed at where to place the jackstands, hoping that the forward end of the trailing arm was a good strong spot. I wasn't worried about rust-induced-weakness, but didn't want to deform the floors/rockers. (I jacked up from the rear end of the trailing arm)

From what I saw, the body, rockers, suspension pick-up points and driveline are all in excellent condition.

The fuel pump, however, appears to be the source of "that gas smell" when driving. It leaks like a sieve from the upper seam (vs. the bottom plate). My hopes that it was just a perished tank-to-pump hose end were dashed when I turned the key to on and saw the amount of fuel pouring out. Hopefully it just needs gaskets.

The right rear caliper appears to stick after the brake is pressed, locking the wheel and leading to heat-scorched rotor (and I think it is warped, too, as after prying the pads apart a little--just enough to be able to turn the hub with a long bar between the lugs--I detect a distinct sticky point at the same spot as I go around. Also that wheel's bearing are in need of changing. The tire wiggled once I got it off the ground. Not sure if I can just repack and tighten them. I have to dig deeper. So the good news is that I know more. The bad news is that there's still more to know... LOL.

Some pics of the underside; fuel pump, and various bits. This car is too clean to pass up... Why does it have to appear now??!!
Attached Thumbnails
Picking up W108 - 71 280SE-img_3198.jpg   Picking up W108 - 71 280SE-img_3185.jpg   Picking up W108 - 71 280SE-img_3187.jpg   Picking up W108 - 71 280SE-img_3190.jpg   Picking up W108 - 71 280SE-img_3191.jpg