View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compress ignite View Post
With your I.P.'s serial number in hand.

I believe you'll be told that the Fuel Pressure Relief Valve is a Venturi type.
(No Ball and Spring)
Thanks I just learnt something. When I noticed very late that he had the euro 240d in his signature all bets were off. I know nothing about those injection pumps not sold in north america as well.

I did suspect something might be different though. If it has a venturi type constant restrictor is another possible component of a suspected difference.

Any tuneup of the fuel supply system might require some thought. When he gets a gauge installed there may be something to learn here. If the car is running extremely well I doubt that I would change the relief valve system. I still would want to know the operational pressure on an ongoing basis though as well as currently. Theoretically a venturi can wear so the recommended base fuel pressure from the factory on those pumps should still be checked.

What really got my attention at one time. The lack of a cigar hose or obvious pulse expansion device on the majority of the euro version cars injection pumps. If you fill the fuel tank up past the half way mark and remove the cigar hose from the system and substitute a hard hose there is a big change on some 300ds with the north american injection pump. It runs poorly or differently until the fuel drops down past the entry point of the return line to the fuel tank.

So as a general thing especially in the south. If the cigar hose has gone rock hard consideration should be given to changing it out. You may or may not see a noticable diference. It has a function other than noise supression as was propagated for along time.

As the poster may or may not know. The 616 engine with the euro version fuel injection pump does not have the first cylinder rod bearing issues. For certain it is the same block though.

Or at least posters from europe state the issue is not known over there. It is well know over here. They had a lot more 240ds in service at one time as well in europe. I often have wondered why there was an export to north america version of injection pump and a euro version pump on those cars sold there. There must have been a reason.

Last edited by barry123400; 01-28-2012 at 04:15 PM.