View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
If that was your initial symptom that the mechanic diagnosed, there are other possible causes for that besides the electric switch. Could be NSS, could be poor connections anywhere in the wiring harness. It's a pretty common problem. My TD has done it periodically in the 8yrs I've owned it. It usually happens during temperature extremes. I just keep a short piece of wire to jumper the terminals. Once I start it the problem usually goes away for 6 months or more. Some people have installed an additional solenoid in the system to rectify the problem. Someone resurrected the thread of that solution with pictures in the last day or so.
Kerry, the mechanic diagnosed it being the electric switch, because to get the ac/heat fan to come on you had to turn the key slightly back for it to blow.

I had no symtoms other suddenly you could turn the key to start the car and one time it might start then the next nothing. No extreme temperatures. No problems in 100+ temps this past summer.

It worked fine after replacing the elec. switch. I started the car multiple times while reassembling, until I shifted the whole ignition assembly to finish putting the dash back together.

I also noticed a delay in the steering wheel lock engaging.