View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Regitsered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrs View Post
I found statements in my original owner's manual saying that with a cold engine you need to turn key on for a few seconds before engaging starter, this is position 2 or "run", the position just before crank. Theoretically no throttle is needed for cold starts... but for a WARM START it states to turn the key to position 2 and leave it there for 5-6 seconds before cranking, then apply full throttle while cranking (but do not push far enough to engage the kickdown switch). It also said do not release the key from crank position when it first fires but rather after it has fired definitively, maybe another second or so in my experience. This is quite a juggling act but after a couple of days it becomes more intuitive.

This backs up another post I read elsewhere where someone said they leave key in position 2 for 15-seconds before starting to purge vapors from the lines of a sort of "mild vapor lock," and claim they haven't had a warm start issue since. I use the manual's 6-second rule for expediency and use full throttle and in the three days since I began this procedure I have not had a warm start failure since. I am going to confirm my results further over the next week and report back.

I hate to say it, but I am starting to think that at least some of the hot start issues are simply out of ignorance about how the system works. I was certainly doing it wrong and I hope my admission of guilt will help others with this frustrating problem.

Please do let me know if this works for anyone else out there!
Ok, I tried it today, too, and it worked.

Let my car run for 20 minutes to get everything nice and toasty, then I shut it off, went inside to wash up (I was replacing fuel pump and filter) and simulate running in to 7-11 for something, and when i went out, I tried it. I let the pump run for one-one-thousand to ten-one-thousand, applied right foot til I felt the stop, and cranked her over.

Aaaand...it worked! Maybe a little too well... It caught and revved a little more enthusiastically than I would have liked, but it was warm, lubricated and ready to roll. In the future, I think I have to back off the loud pedal from "just kissing the kick down switch" to maybe 3/4.

Real test: when i take the car down the hill to meet the local MBCA chapter, and importantly, getting back up the hill and home.

Last edited by Palolo; 02-21-2012 at 08:46 PM.