View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 01:12 AM

Get round to take a look at this problem and there is a tip or 2 I can share with the forum. The green line goes to the 5 control solenoids behind the Climate Control. It is a challenge to find out which one of the 5 pods is leaking. I find a quick way to do it.

1) Remove the 5 holding screws on the CCU faceplate. Move CCU aside but do not undo the 2 big plugs on either side.
2) T the Mityvac to the green line
3) Unplug ALL 5 connectors to the vacuum control solenoids.
4) Start the car and monitor the vacuum level, the level should be normal as all the vacuum solenoids are off ( not connected ).
5) Plug the connector back in one at a time. The vacuum would drop once the connector associated with the leaky pod is re-connected. You may need to vary the CCU setting to make sure the control solenoids are activated.
6) Optional - It is also possible to hook up 12v to the solenoid with a spare connector as the CCU setting may or may not energize the solenoid.
7) This method saves me a lot of time as the vacuum tube is a PITA to get to behind the CCU and I do not want to remove the glove box panel to test the pods.

I managed to locate solenoid number 1, the left-hand most one. The vacuum dropped once I re-connected the solenoid. It was so easy to identify the culprit. The pod is underneath the driver panel.

Any one can tell me what does #1 pod control?

W124 Keyless remote, PM for details. http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-used-parts-sale-wanted/334620-fs-w124-chasis-keyless-remote-%2450-shipped.html

1 X 2006 CDI
1 x 87 300SDL
1 x 87 300D
1 x 87 300TDT wagon
1 x 83 300D
1 x 84 190D ( 5 sp ) - All R134 converted + keyless entry.