View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM

how could my om617 be compromised so quickly?

Some of you may be familiar with my early landcruiser conversion, which I have enjoyed for just about a year.

My 1st mistake was bringing her over to one of those quick oil-change places for an oil change.

My conversion utilizes a remote dual-filter head unit, which had two HP1 fram filters.
They didn't carry these filters, so I mentioned that the fram PH8A filters were compatible.

They replaced the filters, I started the truck for a moment to circulate the oil and verify adequate oil-level.
They checked, and added another 1/2 quart of 15-40w which was verified again after another start/idle/stop step.

I left the shop, only to wait for a few mins. (signal-light) to make a U-turn and head back home.
I noticed power felt sluggish, followed by my motor shutting down in less then an average city block.
I don't believe I reached 40MPH, as I found myself coasting to the shoulder.

I was able to start her for a moment, only to have it shutdown again.
I started her once more, this time slowly accelerating the throttle manually and watched how the motor shutdown again once I let off the accelerator.

I towed the truck back to the shop, and informed them that they had made some sort of mistake.
They indicated that they had only changed the oil, and felt they were not to blame for the current condition of my truck.

After I towed her back home, I realized they had installed much SMALLER oil-filters...nothing like what was previously installed.

I have since replaced the filters with PH8As, but the truck feels like most if not all power has been lost.
She doesn't seem to appreciate anything other then Idling.

The amount of blow-by is now severe, which was not the case prior to the oil-change.
It seems like the motor was about to seize, and now avoided as a result of replacing the SMALLER oil-filters.

I would appreciate some assistance in understanding how my om617 was quickly compromised, as a result of an oil-change.

I don't believe I should perform any trouble-shooting steps, as I will be filing a claim w/the shop.

thanks,
manny