View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 12:09 AM
SWFL Benz Clubbin...

Mike,

Wondering if you still have this contraption and if you could post a picture of it? I'm about to redo my AC and am QUITE relieved to see that the evaps rarely fail....I'm going to replace my compressor, flush, fill and possibly add a high/low pressure switch if I go with 134a and see how it works...before I do the dash swap....so I would at least like to clean the evap. If the system bleeds out I'll worry about the replacing the evap when I do the dash swap.

Next to research how often the heater cores fail...

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westkill View Post
Hi, I just cleaned mine while in the car (82sd). What I did was pull down the lower trim pieces on each side. On the drivers side you have a good view of the entire inboard side of the evaporator. I removed the floor mats and blanketted the floor. I have a air tool attachment that is nothing more than a nozzle with a port on it where a small hose attaches and draws liquid in.(Advertised as a parts washer) . I made a wand out of 1/2" copper pipe about 14" long. Put an elbow on the end and flattened the one side a bit. I attaced it to the end of the blower with a piece of heater hose. Made a great angled mini sprayer. I then inserted the pick up tube into a good grease dissolver ( purple stuff etc) and attached my air hose. I stuck the wand in and fired away. A very effective power washer.
I started at the far end and worked toward me. I let the solution set then I put the pick up hose in a jug of HOT water and flushed again.. I repeated this 5 times. NOw the evaporator is shiny clean on the inboard side and I can only assume the outboard side.
What prompted this was I wasn't getting any water dripping under car with A/C on and it wasn't all that cold. Now I get puddles and the A/C is much colder. Incidently. When flushing I didn't see and water pouring out underneeth til I was on the 2nd application. It Was clogged good. I felt this was worth a shot first because the dash removal is big. HTH Mike
1982 300D - Blue/Blue (Sold)