View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 PM

Location: Cicero, Hamilton County, Indiana about 30 miles north of downtown Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastropodus View Post
I wouldn't use aluminum. The whole point of a flywheel is to have rotational energy stored up to carry the drive through until the next piston fires, and the more mass (weight) the more energy is stored. Other people have tried to use 616 flywheels in 617 applications, and I believe the consensus is that the 616 flywheel is insufficient; I would guess that an aluminum flywheel will weigh a lot less than even the 616, and thus be even further away from suitable.
Well the 616 flywheel is not insufficient. My 617 runs, drives and shifts very good. I love the acceleration from the lighter flywheel, though I think what Tom W says about the heavier flywheel is very much correct. I don't think I would ever go with a home cast aluminum flywheel. I think that would be asking for problems.

1983 Mercedes W123 240D 4 Speed 285,000 on the road with a 617 turbo, beautiful butter yellow, license plate # 83 240D INDIANA

2003 Jaguar Type X, AWD. beautiful, good mileage,
Mom's car, but I won't let her drive it!