View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junqueyardjim View Post
Well the 616 flywheel is not insufficient. My 617 runs, drives and shifts very good. I love the acceleration from the lighter flywheel, though I think what Tom W says about the heavier flywheel is very much correct. I don't think I would ever go with a home cast aluminum flywheel. I think that would be asking for problems.
x2.

A lot of people have encountered vibration issues, but IMO, thats because they didn't take the step of match balancing or even neutral balancing the flywheel and automatic driven plate before completing the swap.

Some of the 617s have balanced auto flywheels to the crank, some don't. Additionally, some 616 sourced manual flywheels are often out of balance if they were sitting in a yard for years, or just from use, or age, whatever. I think its a worthwhile step to take, but a lot of times, its skipped in the swap process.

Even on 4cyl engines, I almost always at least neutral balance the flywheel before installation.

Like Jim, I had excellent service from the 616 manual adapted to a 617 using the 4cyl flywheel. The one thing I thought was hugely different was compensating for stock turbo spooling with the throttle, not vibration. You get used to that in about 5 minutes, but its different than driving the stock 240s.

Just like a 240 for a few seconds of acceleration, then that turbo spools, and the car takes off.

Between that characteristic, and the automatic acceleration characteristic, I thought the fun factor of my old diesel had just jumped 1000%