Thread: 300 sl timing
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Man of many masks

Re: 300 sl timing

Quote:
Originally posted by lyndongt
I've just finished replacing the headgasket. I pre-marked the position of both the cams and haven't rotated the crank. Is there any need to adjust everything back to TDC or can I simply reinstall?

Thank you,
Lyndon Tilson
I'm in the exact same boat as you are right now... I would reccomend that you connect everything and then hand crank the engine to it's static timing setting.. it may not be TDC but I don't know your model at all.. mine is TDC but I knwo some aren't. Anyway crank it around to whatever it's static timing is supposed to be and check that the mark on the cam shaft/timing wheel and distributor is where it is supposed to be.

The next test is to use a strobe to test the timing without starting the engine. Connect an ignition trigger remote and use that to crank the engine and test the static timing with the strobe. I'm not sure but I guess you either disconnect the fuel line or something to prevent the engine from starting while you do this as I beleive you need to have the key turned over in the ignition and the coil connected in order to use the strobe.. somebdoy please clarify this for me.