View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 PM

Valve Adjustment, but should I do stems as well?

Ok, just finished putting the Monarch Nozzles in my 300D and I really like how is just makes everything feel better.

So now its onto adjusting the Valves. I order some wrenches off of ebay and I am pretty sure I understand how to adjust the valves. But here are some questions.

1) To rotate the motor more easily, should I remove the glow plugs? Can I rotate the motor by the power steering pump bolt like the Diesel Giant write up says - especially if I remover the glow plugs?

2) While I have the valve cover off, should I replace the Valve Stems or are they simply a lot of works for little payoff? If I am to replace:
a) Do the rocker arms (set of 2) and (set of 3) just bolt on and off? Is there anything special about removing these and later reinstalling them?
b) Can anyone make more clear the procedures of replacing the valve stems - especially in regards to rotating the engine. What I understand (which is little) is that you need to remove all the the spring hardware from the valve, then replace the stem. BUT, if you remove the spring hardware for a valve and the piston is not at the top position, the valve will fall into the piston chamber? So how do you know if that piston is at its top positions?

3) While the valve cover is off, is there anyway to check the timing chain and if so, what am I really looking for? My mechanic says its fine, but I would like to check it as well.

Thanks
Doug

1983 300D (turbo)
170k.