View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 05:05 AM
dieselarchitect

I had a 1962 190c finny. I bought it in 1974. It had very serious rust issues even when I bought it back then. They were nice cars, well constructed in almost every way but by todays standards the susceptability to rust is laughable.

I had a really nice beautiful rust free california 74 240d, which is a 115 chassis. They are pretty rust prone as well.

I fixed up the 115, restored the motor, painted the faded paint and had it ziebarted. We then drove it year round for about three or four years here in the salt belt and it was beginning to rust a bit. I sold it.

The later 123 chassis is much better protected and is largely the same driving experience as the W110. Unless you have a compelling reason to want the finny I respectfully suggest considering the 123 chassis.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.