View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloff View Post
Got some news, some good, some questionable.

So I decided to fiddle with that rear door today. Lock button goes up/down as it it supposed to when I lock the car using the driver's door lock button. Door would not open from the outside. I didn't think it would open from the inside either, but today I climbed in the backseat and gave it another try. There was some pretty strong resistance on the inside door handle and as I pulled on it, I also pushed against the door and it popped open. So now that door will open from either the inside or outside easily whether the doors are locked or not. Even when the lock button on that door is down, the door is not locked. The button however does go up/down as it should when locking the car. So do you think this points to a vacuum or a linkage issue? The door panel has not been removed yet, but at least now I can do that since the door opens.
Do you have a Mity Vac (or the like)? Its pretty much a necessary tool if you plan to keep the car or do any basic work. Harbor Freight has them at a good price. When you remove the door panel, after checking the linkage, you can remove the vac. pod or maybe unplug the lines and check it in place using your lungs if need be.

1985 Euro 240D 5 spd 140K
1979 240D 5 spd, 40K on engine rebuild
1994 Dodge/Cummins, 5 spd, 121K
1964 Allice Chalmers D15 tractor
2014 Kubota L3800 tractor
1964 VW bug

"Lifes too short to drive a boring car"