View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 11:13 AM

Govert, Thanks a bunch for all of that info! That will be a huge help. I never realized that the pump was lubricated separately, so it's a good thing you pointed that out. Luckily, I put the oil filter in correctly, even though I was guessing on it. The only part I'm dissapointed about is the fact that the new oil filter kit didn't come with crush washers. The old ones looked fine, so I just cleaned them off and reinstalled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs899 View Post
This is really not surprising. Diesel does not turn into "peanut butter" like gas does. Our cars can be stored for years at a time- the trick is to keep the tanks full so that there is no condensation. Water forming in the tank can be a big issue as it leads to the growth of algae which then plugs the fuel system. If you didn't see any algae, you are in good shape.

The 220D, as Govert noted , has a separate sump in its IP for lubrication. The later cars had an oil line from the engine to handle that task.

It's going to take some getting used to, but you may like the simplicity of diesel motoring. If you can put up with the slowness of the 220D....
That's good then, because the tank was pretty much full when I bought it. Hopefully I won't run into any problems with the fuel.

I like the simplicity of the diesel engine so far. I'm not expecting it to be fast, that's what I have my 300hp E36 for. I'm just hoping I'll be able to merge into traffic without getting hit