View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Mercedes Benz apprentice

240 water leak = efficient rainwater collection device!

Help, I'm drowning! Of late my 240D has developed this situation where water collects in the rear passenger footwell. Yesterday it rained maybe a half an inch, but the water was 3 inches deep in the footwell! I've taken out the carpeting and I bail out a couple gallons daily, but this is getting old.

So far I've cleaned out the drains under the hood hinges, which were clogged, but that doesn't seem to have slowed the water. I do have a sunroof, but in the two years that I've owned the car I've never messed with it - the inspection I got at MBI said that it was inoperative, so I have just never risked doing anything with it (seems like I've always had bigger fish to fry in the repair department).

I don't think that this is a door leak. This multiplier effect seems to suggest that water hits a large surface and gets channeled into an entry point. I've got to figure that it has something to do with water hitting the windshield or the hood and then running down into some clogged place. The car is parked on the street, and the street slopes to the passenger side, so water that hits the car tends to run to the side that is collecting.

Suggestions on how to proceed? My next step is going to be to take the battery out and look around under there. Thanks,

Kurt