View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 02:27 PM

junqueyardjim,

Thanks for the input. I marked everything very explicitly before dis-assembly, re-assembled it just like I found it, and have verified it step by step with the Todd manual. I should put in an off-set Woodruff key on the cam to account for the chain stretch, but again, it is exactly where it was before I took it apart and it started every time. The only difference is the starter.

The MB starter is rated at 2.3-2.5KW according to the research I have done. The Jeep starter on the other hand is rated at 1.2, 1.4 or 1.7KW. I bought a new one rated at 1.7KW. It does not turn over as fast as it used to, but all the Jeep-Diesel guys that have done this swap have no trouble with their Jeep starters.

I don't know about if the IP is getting worn, or the injector nozzles are fouled. I had planned on doing a Diesel Purge on it as soon as I got it running to optimize how it ran, but can't get there yet. I'm obviously getting fuel to the cylinders because I get lots of smoke from the exhaust, but maybe it's not turning fast enough to create the compression to burn completely.

I bought new glow plugs, tested all of them before I installed them to make sure they all worked. They do. I have even tried to leave the glow plugs lit while cranking it over, but it noticeably slows down the starter if I do that so it is no help.

daw-two,
I have done the valve adjustment when I re-assembled the head according to the procedures and specs in the Todd manual.

As to the IP timing, again I had everything marked before dis-assembly, re-assembled exactly as I found it, and verified it to the Todd manual.

I'm stumped.

Thanks for the input fellas.

I will keep working at it. I am a very determined individual and do not give up. I will find a way over, under, around, or through this problem. I'm also willing to learn from others advice, and their experiences.

Thanks for reading and responding.

Rick