View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 08:08 PM

In post 267 I documented my progress on a new air filter and today I got the housing finished. The piece I picked up at the junk yard was smaller on one end than the other and would potentially create an unwanted restriction. So I finally got a chance to get down to the hangar and turn the piece on the lathe to take out the restriction.

When I got back I "welded" up the piece using AlumaWeld. It's the first time I used this kind of material and I'm pretty pleased with the results. This material is more like a solder or brazing process, but it should be just fine for this application. Here's the piece ready for install.

For those that are following this thread relative to the process of getting the vehicle re-titled as a diesel and therefore legal and exempt from smog, I've got my appointment on the 25th with the BAR referee and hopefully there will be no problems. Stand by.... Update: The BAR cancelled the inspection because their smog machine was down: rescheduled for July 3.

I've also got a web site that is almost ready to launch that treats this project almost like a how-to. As soon as I settle on a suitable domain and get the site transferred. I'll announce it here. A few domain possibilities are 380SLD.com, 380SL-Diesel.com, SLDiesel.com, 107Diesel.com or Diesel107.com Coming soon...
Attached Thumbnails
380SL Diesel Conversion Project-380-121.jpg  
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica

Last edited by mach4; 07-02-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: date change