View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 06:04 PM

Question Looking at a 1973 Mercedes 220D.... Any advice???

I was directed to this forum by some fellow TDIclub members so here it goes..... I recently stumbled upon a 1973 Mercedes 220D Auto when I was out with some friends. I only know what I read on the 'For Sale' sign in the window. Like I said before, it's a 1973 Mercedes 220D; Automatic transmission, it has 260K miles and it said the engine was rebuilt at 200k and it's a one owner car. I emailed the shop's owner to get some more info, but all he could tell me is that it does in fact run. He said it belonged to one of his customers and he gave me the owner's info for me to call him and get some of my other questions answered. I plan on calling him later this week.

My question is.... What should I look out for? What are some common problems with them? Anything I should know about the 220D before I buy it? And any other info you think I should know would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a few crappy pics I took with my cell phone. Yes, the body has some rust; lower front fenders, rocker panels, and rear quarter panels. The rust doesn't really bother me because I already looked up the price of new panels and they aren't crazy expensive. Couldn't find front fenders though.... I looked under the car with a few flashlights and didn't see any rust through the floor boards and the trunk happened to be unlocked so I took a look and the trunk floor is good as well. Other than the fading paint on the trunk, the rest of the paint looks pretty good if you ask me

Thanks in advance for you info/advice!!!