View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 08:16 AM

Talking NEW PURCHASE yet a few Troubles!! W140 S500 Grand Edition

Hey Guys!!

I am now the VERY VERY Proud owner of a 1999 S500 Grand Edition!! I couldn't be happier if you gave me a million Dollars... ok, that was a slight exageration.. Anywho.. I purchased it from a really nice guy about 2 weeks ago in Brooklyn and I absolutely LOVE the car but I do have a couple of questions and need your help.

The things that are wrong with ther car are as follows in order of severity:

1: The ASR BAS light comes on SOMETIMES and I really woupldn't care, but it affects the operation of the cruise control when it does.. Sometimes I can drive 50 miles and it won't come on.. then I might drive 100 ft and it comes on.. haven't been able to put my finger on any particular cause such as braking or turning that causes it.

2: I need new outside mirrors, two days before I was to pick it up someone stole the passenger side one and broke the drivers side partially.. I think I know where there is a set.. Hopefully I can find them there 19 a piece :-)

3: Now this has only happened 2 times and it was really strange.. Jst as the temperature reached around 101 the speedometer dropped to zero and the transmission stopped shifting. Not limp home mode where it only does 2nd gear, this was just whatever the last gear was, it left it there. I am wondering if there is a circuit breaker or a relay somewhere that could cause this? I don't think it was the speedometer sensor as when I pulled over and turned off and back on everything was normal on both instances... Very strange indeed.

4: The check engine light is on.. The guy has replaced the Mass airflow sensor, the plugs, some coils alot of parts that I have the old parts for. I have to get the code read before I talk aboput this much, he said it was for misfire, but she runs like a top (no shaking stumbling or hesitation) and I'm getting about 22-24 on the highway with the ac running not that that makes a terrible amount of difference anyway. I can reset the codes (unplug the battery) and drive the car over a hundred miles before it ever comes back on.. one day it went off by itself and then a few days later came back. We will check this one out in greater depth later.

5: I need the light bulb for the high mount brake light.. Probably go my MB today and pick one up.

6: The transmission has about 100k on the rebuild... I don't like that there is a sealed tranny, no dipstick thing.. This worries me.. I have o get the dipstick.

7: The doorsill Illumination for the front doesn't work.. the inverters are bad.. the rear does, but the front no. Where are they located!??!?! I can't find them.

That's about it.. everything else works perfectly!!! oh well The remote is broken, but I spoke to Benz and a remote key (switchblade type is 187) may wait a while on that.

So guys.. the car has 190k and drives like a champ I aid 3k even for it.. It has scratches and I'm going to get her repainted.. after I get the other things done.. the grand edition Obsidian Black of course.

Thanks for all help guys!!
Leron