View Single Post
Old 11-22-2002, 01:54 PM

I purchased an 81 300SD car that was parked under a tree for 4 years last January for $1000---the experience has been bitter sweet. Yes, the worst thing you can do to any machinery is to let it sit for exactly the reasons Tank mentioned. My car's color is cream/yellow which buffed out like new. The interior was in average condition, but with clean up and leather conditioner it is now a good 8 out of 10. The car needed all new calipers and pads, new tires, new battery, new hood release cable, pan gasket, all fluids flushed and replaced, new injectors and a valve adjustment. I have been too afraid to add up the receipts! After the valves were adjusted, they turned a little against the valve seats and because of the crud build up, they would not seal properly. I drove the car for 5k miles and then took it back for a valve job. The seals were completly shot---the worst the mechanic had seen in years. Had so much blow-by that the air filter was completly impregnated with oil after the 5k. At this point, I could probably sell it for about what I put into it. However, I have a great running and reliable car and have not regreted the purchase. A bit of a project, but now I have something I am proud to drive

1977 240D Hell Blau (Verkauft)
1981 240D Weiss (Gestorben)
1984 300D Dunkel Rot (Verkauft)
1982 240D Dunkel Blau (225k) "Panzer Wagen"
1981 300SD Beige (175k) "Kampfwagen"
1981 300SD Beige (205K) "Panzerkampwagen"