View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarTek View Post
Brian, when I was installing the old 5k system 12 years ago, I was totally with you on the cost of transfer switches. I had spent a couple years researching ways to get it done without the cost but even going with a DPDT switch from an electrical supply house was expensive.

I ended up building my own switch from components purchased at Home Depot, using a face plate mounted slider, similar to the one pictured in post 41. All together, it was about $75 for the little 4 space box, a 30A breaker and a 100A breaker. In my system, the transfer switch box was ahead of the feed to the main house breaker box.

You could save the extra expense by simply adding the breaker to your existing box and incorporating the slider which I believe is the way you're thinking anyway.

As for your question on the generator leads, it's hot, hot, neutral, ground. Some codes require separate feeds in the breaker box. If they're tied together in your box, you can join them, if not, you have to keep them separate.
Thanks Evan.

I'm going to go the route of the 30A breaker in my existing box since I have that dryer line doing absolutely nothing at the moment (the dryer is gas).

I'm not all that concerned whether the box is modified to accept the slider. I'm quite sure I can switch off the main when I activate the generator without the slider.

The only question that remains is why the dryer line has only three leads? The plug doesn't accept the fourth ground lead.

In my box, the neutrals and the grounds go to the same bus bar.