View Single Post
Old 11-23-2002, 04:35 PM
Diesel Power

I have a "quick and dirty" solution to reprime your fuel system. This comes with a disclaimer - BE CAREFUL, AND DON'T DO THIS IF YOU ARE AT ALL WORRIED ABOUT POTENTIAL RISK!!!

I have a bad primer pump in the 75. To reprime that car quickly, I pulled the fuel return hose from the pump back to the fuel filter. I then block the nipple that the hose connects to to prevent air form gettin in that direction. Then grab a shop vac. MAKE SURE that it is in working order, and rated for wet use. If you are at all unsure of it's condition, DON'T use it. Now cup the fuel return hose in your hand in such a way as you can block the opening to the hose to the shop vac, and the fuel return hose terminates inside the hose. Turn on and take note of any moisture that you feel. When you are drawing fuel out of the hose, shut off vacuum and immediately replace return hose to fuel filter housing. I've done this to a VW diesel that had no primer pump at all, and to the 75 when it lost prime, and I needed to move it. If a lack of fuel is your only problem regarding a no start, it WILL start after this.