View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 07:35 PM
macdoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmckechnie View Post
Everything is referenced by the drivers seat. For instance if you are sitting in the drivers seat, the right valve cover is on the right side of the car. The left valve cover is on the left side. If the car is a RHD the same rules apply.

Now the problem comes in if we have a front wheel drive car with a transverse mounted engine, which is the left valve cover and which is the right? Or is it a front and rear valve cover? When you order parts you can only say something like 'I need the one close to the front (or rear) of the car.'

Paul
O.k This conflicts and is opposite to what pawsd has said in another thread. He says that manuals are written and should be interpreted as if standing in front of the engine looking at it. I suppose if what you are saying is correct then the owners manual for THIS car confirms that what you are saying is correct as far as referenced from the drivers seat. Thanks.... good to know and important at least for this. Since starting this thread I have been linked to the peach parts wiki on timing chain replacement and it is a lot more straight forward with the modern photographs. I found another site that has an even better write up with photos. Of course I was almost done by the time I found it. It was from a foreign country.