View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 11:15 PM

Over the last few days I have done the following:

Buffed half the hood, just to see that it could be done, and cleaned up some of the burn damage. While most of the smoke damage cleaned up, some of the damage will require either some respraying or burn a similar mark on the other side so it matches.

Removed seats for cleaning.

Pulled the carpeting for a power wash and thorough cleaning and also so the interior can dry out. The musty smell is not so noticeable now and should clear out all the way.

Replaced 2 of the 3 bad glow plugs (donors from my spare OM602), but that was enough to start it!!! Yes, it lives! It runs smoothly as well.

(Click on the picture to open up a video of the engine running.)

Tested essentially all systems with the following failures: rear windows; one low beam bulb out; horn; ACC blower.

I got antique tags so it is street legal, but to get it road worthy I will need to complete the following:

Put carpet and seats back in (after cleaning and drying of course);

DX horn - I have an extra post-facelift steering wheel I will install at the same time;

Replace headlight bulb;

DX ACC - I have several extra blowers and regulators and one extra N22 push button controller.

I can cover the rest if the nits after these items once I'm mobile with it.

Special thanks to Johnhef for letting me work on it at his house and giving me pointers on the glowplug issues.

Peach Parts W124.128 User Group.

80 280SL
85 300SD
87 300TD
92 300D 2.5 Turbo
92 300TE 4Matic